Monday, March 23, 2009

Naples

Three days spent in Naples, Florida doesn't hardly seem like enough. It was the first time I'd actually watched the sun set over the ocean and it was absolutley breathtaking every time. I didn't realize how much quicker sunset happens than sunrise. Once it gets to a certain point on the horizon line, that big ball of fire just seems to free fall suddenly. It really is amazing.

I spent three glorious days with my best friend from high school and her mom, in an 11th floor condo, on Vanderbilt Beach. We spent hours at the pool, took several long walks on the beach, ate the most glorious piece of grouper EVER, and caught up on the past several years. I'm so thankful that they dragged me along on this little vaca' and look forward to our trip next summer. Marco Island, anyone?

I always seem to get introspective after vacations, which I'm going to assume is completely normal. Anyway, we were sitting around the pool on Sunday morning and Kristin asked me what I was planning on doing for my birthday this year, which will by #29. I'm not really big on birthday celebrations, probably because I just don't like being the center of attention, but I'm well aware that I'm creepin' up on the big 3-0 and probably warrants some kind of celebration. I guess I'm just not in a hurry to admit that the years keep passing. I want so desperately for my life to move and I don't even care what direction it goes in. I just want some type of movement. But just like I reminded a dear friend last week, sometimes we're put in a position where waiting is the only option. Sometimes, God calls us to a task that creates a situation in which we have no other option but to let go. I guess I thought that the older I got the more control I would have, but as it turns out, the older I get the more I realize just how little control I actually do have.

No comments: